Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Princess Diary

Here are some things that I have learned bother me as a father.

-Princess-I do not appreciate when someone calls my daughter, "Princess." I am not against my daughter having a princess phase. I certainly wouldn't push her away from something she likes at such a young age. However, I don't see enough examples of princesses that look like her. Let's move her away from the gender stereotypes and underlying message of entitlement. Please just call her by the name we painstakingly selected. 

-Clothes-Way too much pink out there for girls. Couldn't the design and the fact that it might be a dress be enough. My daughter happens to look quite nice in blue. I'm tired of stores telling me that she is better off in pink. Just to be clear, she does have pink apparel. However, I would appreciate some variety. Girls like superheroes and sports, too.

-I've had some people refer to me as Mr. Mom. I am not Mr. Mom. I am a father. I am a responsible parent. I am also quite capable as a dad, so you won't catch me making grilled cheese with an iron. 

My next entry: Hillary was right because it does take a village.

2 comments:

tk2010 said...

I wholeheartedly agree with points one and two, and applaud you for making point three. We have never bought our daughter any pink clothing, and yet her drawers are overflowing with the color! It feels like an impossible battle some days.

Unknown said...

Great points, all of them. Although I know you have mad parenting skills, Michael Keaton was pretty bad ass when he made that grilled cheese sandwich with the iron- I'm just saying.